Are you stuck in that “I don’t have time for me” rut?
Ladies….this is vitally important for your health. I can’t express enough about self-care and WHY it’s vitally important for our health.
Does this sound like you????? You are sitting in the office stressed beyond belief…you’re running around like a chicken with your head cut off taking care of the family…you’re juggling a full time job and a family; it’s a busy week at work/home. You overwork, try to fit in too much, run through the drive-thru for the dreaded fast food, cancel your yoga session, cut back on socializing, and even skip a few meals.
To keep up with this so-called life, we don’t think twice before putting self-care on the back burner. More often than not, it takes a wake-up call to notice the toll this kind of lifestyle takes on our lives.
No matter how indulgent or fancy the term may sound, self-care is crucial for our physical, emotional and mental well-being. You shouldn’t neglect self-care and NO, it’s not being selfish, it’s making sure you are healthy enough to always be there for the kids, husband, job, etc…. Why is it so important?
- Know your worth: Self-care is important to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself. It is necessary to remind yourself and others that you and your needs are important too.
- A healthy work-life balance: Contrary to common belief, workaholism is not a virtue. Overwork, and the accompanying stress and exhaustion can make you less productive, disorganized and emotionally depleted. It can also lead to all sorts of health problems, from anxiety and depression to insomnia and heart diseases. Professional self-care habits like taking intermittent breaks (for lunch, calling your mom, or taking a stroll), setting professional boundaries, avoiding overextending, etc. ensures that you stay sharp, motivated and healthy.
- Stress management: While a little dose of stress is a healthy way to give us a nudge that we need to meet the deadlines or finish that overdue task, constant stress and anxiety can have an adverse effect on your mental and physical health. Smart self-care habits like eating healthy, connecting with a loved one or, practicing meditation cuts down the toxic effects of stress by improving your mood and boosting your energy and confidence levels.
- Start living, stop existing: Life is a precious gift. So why waste it when we have the choice to have a more meaningful existence? Yes, you have a lot of responsibilities— work, family, laundry, errands, paying bills. But it’s important to remember that taking care of yourself is also your responsibility. Little things like sipping tea while looking at the raindrops racing down the window glass, enjoying a bubble bath, or reading a book are essential for your daily happiness.
- Better physical health: Self-care is not just about your mental health. It’s also about caring for your physical self, by eating healthy, taking adequate sleep, caring about your hygiene, exercising regularly, etc.
And if you’ve read till here, I am going to assume that you are ready to jump on the self-care bandwagon. So here are ten small, simple self-care habits that anyone can get into:
- Go for a run or a light jog.
- Meditate or do deep breathing for five minutes.
- Take a break when you need it.
- Choose who you spend time with.
- Laugh at least once a day.
- Eat green daily; stop eating processed foods.
- Avoid emotional eating.
- Start a journal, listen to or read personal development.
- Learn to say ‘No.’
- Stop overthinking
My STRONGER TOGETHER Christian Women’s Wellness Retreat was designed by myself and my mom to allow ladies to get away from the hustle and bustle, relax, enjoy spa treatments, grow your faith and get together with like-minded ladies. Grab your friends, sister, mom, daughter or just come on your own and join us in October in the north Georgia mountains. Visit my site for more info: CLICK HERE
Watch this video to start taking care of yourself with my “Bedtime Yoga” routine. Only a few minutes long and a great way to relax before bed. Make sure you SUBSCRIBE to my channel for tons more stretching, yoga,Christ, Crunches, and Curls!!